Saturday, May 23, 2009

Non-Verbal Blues

Nathan and Andrew are 16 months and counting and have not said a single word. Not even a mama or a daddy. I wish I could say that I was patient and had peace about it, but the truth is I don’t. It has been driving me nuts this week. It has caused me to question so many things that I do as a mom. All my education and experience as a teacher gives me tons of logical reasons why they are not talking. However, none of it is reassuring. I know they will eventually talk. Yet I find myself being consumed with fear. Once again I am learning to parenting out of faith and not out of fear. Just one of the many ongoing lessons I keep repeating.

My Girls tagged this passage “The Mommy Verse”. There seems to be truth in that title.

Matthew 6:25-34 "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you.


3 comments:

Lorri said...

Hi Kristina, all my kids talked LATE!!! I think they were more around 2 years old. I remember kind of worrying about it with the first, for sure, but by the time the last one came, I KNEW what was ahead. He is now making up for lost time! LOL It will come....and will be fun to read what you just wrote in this post years later.

rick and karen said...

Sunshine,
You brother did talk until he was 18 months old and it was a complete sentence. Not only will Nathan and Andrew talk - there will be times when you will wish that you had these non verbal days back.

Anonymous said...

their first word is going to be "SHANNON." i can feel it. soon after it will me either "i miss shannon," "you should have named me shannon, " or "mother, why did you ever allow the dogs to sit at the table?"